Why now may be the best time to bring a molecular lab in house
As genetic testing lab results help drive effective treatment for more and more conditions, hospitals and other healthcare centers are sending out an increasing number tests. The cost of sending out those tests is high: 2016 sales of genetic lab tests reached $11 billion dollars, and that number is expected to increase by 15 to 20 percent annually.
Fortunately, advancements in molecular lab technology mean that efficient, affordable genetic testing is no longer limited to research universities and reference labs. Hospital labs can expand their capabilities without overtaxing budgets or human resources with three foundational informatics tools:
- A laboratory information management system (LIMS) designed specifically for the requirements of a molecular lab
- A deep, easily accessed knowledge base for rapid variant filtration and annotation
- A reporting system that identifies and calls out clinically actionable results
- Who is leveraging the results of genetic testing labs to improve patient care
- How turnaround times can be reduced even while increasing accuracy
- Where intelligent processes can maximize efficiency in the molecular lab workflow
- Why genetic testing retains a high value long after the initial diagnosis
- How labs can help physicians find and apply actionable information for clinical decision support
The opportunities for healthcare centers to enhance patient care and control costs through genetic testing and other capabilities of a molecular diagnostic laboratory have never been greater.
Complete this form to get the white paper Molecular Diagnostics for Healthcare Facilities: How to Start and Scale an Efficient Testing Program to learn more.